Dr. Adnan Aydin
Areas of Expertise
Engineering Geology, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Soil Mechanics and Ground Engineering, Hydrogeology, Applied Geophysics, Geotechnics.
Field, laboratory and index testing of intact rock, rock-mass discontinuities, and soils;
Rock and soil microstructure, origin of jointing in rock masses, development of weathering profiles.
Origin and measurement of in-situ stress;
Characterization and classification of rock masses;
Analytical and numerical modeling of rock mass and soil behavior.
Mechanisms and susceptibility mapping of landslides and liquefaction.
Modeling flow and deformation in single fractures and fractured rock masses;
Well-testing in fractured rocks.
Predicting site response and ocean wave climate parameters from microtremor recordings;
Seismic refraction and reflection, electrical resistivity sounding (VES), and ground penetrating radar (GPR).
Monitoring tunnel induced deformations;
Design of ground excavations.
Subjective and random uncertainties in rock engineering;
Analytical and numerical modeling of flow and deformation of fractured rock masses;
Statistical data analysis.
- Aydin A. 1997. Theory of single-well tests in acute fracture-wellbore systems. Hydrology, 194, 201-220.
- Aydin A. 1997. Influence of intersection angle at single-well flow tests in fracture-wellbore systems. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 20, 1,110-120.
- Aydin A, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Malpas J. 2000. A review of igneous and metamorphic saprolites. Journal of Nepal Geological Soc., 22, 11-16.
- Aydin A, Egeli I. 2001. Stability of slopes cut in metasedimentary saprolites in Hong Kong. Bull. Eng. Geol. Env., 60, 315-319.
- Aydin A. 2001. Fracture void structure: implications for flow, transport and deformation. Environmental Geology, 40, 6, 672-677.
- Malpas J, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A. 2001. Behaviour of chemical elements during weathering of pyroclastic rocks, Hong Kong. Environment International, 26, 359-368.
- Aydin A, Duzgoren-Aydin NS. 2002. Indices for scaling and predicting weathering-induced changes in rock properties. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, 8, 2, 121-135.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A, Malpas J. 2002. Re-assessment of chemical weathering indices: case study from pyroclastic rocks of Hong Kong. Engineering Geology, 63, 99-119.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A, Malpas J. 2002. Distribution of clay minerals along a weathered pyroclastic rock profile. Catena, 50, 17-41.
- Wen BP, Aydin A, Duzgoren-Aydin NS. 2002. A comparative study of particle size analyses by sieve-hydrometer and laser diffraction methods. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 25, 4, 434-442.
- Wen BP, Aydin A. 2003. Microstructural study of a natural slip zone: quantification and deformation history. Engineering Geology, 68, 289-317.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A. 2003. Chemical heterogeneities of weathered igneous profiles: implications for chemical indices. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, 9, 4, 363-378.
- Wen BP, Aydin A. 2004. Deformation history of a landslide slip zone in light of soil microstructure. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, 10, 2, 123-150.
- Aydin A. 2004. Fuzzy set approaches to the classification of rock masses. Engineering Geology, 74, 3-4, 227-245.
- Aydin A, Ozbek A, Cobanoglu I. 2004. Tunneling in difficult ground: a case study from Dranaz tunnel, Sinop-Turkey. Engineering Geology, 74, 3-4, 293-301.
- Basu A, Aydin A. 2004. A method for normalization of Schmidt hammer rebound values. Int. J. Rock Mech. & Mining Sci., 41, 1211-1214.
- Wen BP, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A. 2004. Geochemical characteristics of the slip zones of a landslide in granitic saprolite, Hong Kong: implications for their development and microenvironments. Environmental Geology, 47, 140-154.
- Wen BP, Aydin A. 2005. Mechanism of a rainfall-induced slide-debris flow: constraints from microstructure of its slip zone. Engineering Geology, 78, 69-88.
- Aydin A, Basu A. 2005. The Schmidt hammer in rock material characterization. Engineering Geology, 81, 1-14.
- Aydin A, Basu A. 2005. The use of Brazilian test as a quantitative measure of rock weathering. Rock Mechanics & Rock Engineering, 39, 1, 77-85.
- Aydin A. 2006. Stability of saprolitic slopes: nature and role of field scale heterogeneities. Natural Hazards & Earth System Sciences, 6, 89-96.
- Basu A, Aydin A. 2006. An Evaluation of Ultrasonic Testing in Rock Material Characterization. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 29, 2, 117-125.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Wong CS, Song Z, Aydin A, Li XD, You M. 2006. Fate of heavy metal contaminants in road dusts and gully sediments in Guangzhou, SE China: A chemical and mineralogical assessment. Human & Ecological Risk Assessment, 12, 2, 374-389.
- Basu A, Aydin A. 2006. Predicting uniaxial compressive strength by point load test: significance of cone penetration. Rock Mechanics & Rock Engineering, 39, 5, 483-490.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A. 2006. Chemical and mineralogical heterogeneities of weathered igneous profiles: implications for landslides studies. Natural Hazards & Earth System Sciences, 6, 315-322.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Wong CS, Aydin A, Song Z, You M. 2006. Heavy metal contamination and distribution of Guangzhou, SE China. Environmental Geochemistry & Health, 28, 4, 375-391.
- Wong CS, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A, Wong HM. 2006. Sources and trends of environmental mercury emissions in Asia. Total Science of Environment, 368, 2-3, 649-662.
- Wong CS, Wu SC, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A, Wong MH. 2007. Trace metal contamination of sediments in an e-waste processing village in China. Environmental Pollution, 145, 2, 434-442.
- Wong CSC, Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A, Wong MH . 2007. Evidence of excessive releases of metals from primitive e-waste processing in Guiyu, China. Environmental Pollution. 148, 62-72.
- Beroya MAA, Aydin A. 2007. First-level liquefaction hazard mapping of Laoag City, Northern Philippines. Natural Hazards, 43, 415-430.
- Wen BP, Aydin A, N.S. Duzgoren-Aydin, Y.R. Li, H.Y. Chen, S.D. Xiao. 2007. Residual Strength of Slip Zones of Large Landslides in the Three Gorges Area, China. Engineering Geology, 93, 82-98.
- Beroya MAA, Aydin A. 2008. Seismic hazard analysis of Laoag City, Northern Philippines, for liquefaction potential assessment. Engineering Geology, 96, 28-42.
- Li CB, Aydin A, Shi XJ, W XZ. 2008. Comparison and modification of rock creep models. Chinese Journal of Experimental Mechanics. 23, 1, paper no. 12. (in Chinese with English abstracts)
- Aydin A. 2009. Suggested method for determination of the Schmidt hammer rebound hardness: Revised version. Int. J. Rock Mech. & Mining Sci. 46, 3, 627-634.
- Duzgoren-Aydin NS, Aydin A. 2009. Distribution of rare earth elements and oxyhydroxide phases within a weathered felsic igneous profile in Hong Kong. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 34, 1, 1-9.
- Shi XJ, Li CB, Aydin A, Huang JH, Zhao C. 2009. Viscoelastic model with variable parameters for earth medium. Chinese Journal of Geophysics, 52, 1, 33-39. (English Edition)
- Beroya MAA, Aydin A, Katzenbach R. 2009. Insight into the effects of clay mineralogy on the cyclic behavior of silt-clay mixtures. Engineering Geology, 106, 3-4, 154-162.
- Beroya MAA, Aydin A, Tiglao R, Lasala M. 2009. Use of microtremor in liquefaction hazard mapping. Engineering Geology, 107, 3-4, 140-153.
- Li YR, Aydin A. 2010. Behavior of rounded granular materials in direct shear: mechanisms and quantification of fluctuations. Engineering Geology, 115, 96–104.
- Beroya MAA, Aydin A. 2010. A new approach to liquefaction hazard zonation: Application to Laoag City, Northern Philippines. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 30, 11, 1338-1351.
- Mortimer L, Aydin A, Simmons CT, Love AJ. 2011. Is the in-situ stress field important to Groundwater Flow in Shallow Fractured Rock Aquifers? Journal of Hydrology, 399 (3-4), 185-200.
- Mortimer L, Aydin A, Simmons CT, Heinson G, Love AJ. 2011. The role of in situ stress determining hydraulic connectivity in a fractured rock aquifer. Hydrogeology Journal, 19 (7) pp 1,293–312.
- Li YR, Aydin A, Xiang XQ, Ju NP, Zhao JJ, Ozbek A. 2012. Landslide susceptibility mapping and evaluation along a river valley in China. Acta Geologica Sinica (English Edition), 86, 4, 1022-1030.
- Li YR, Aydin A, Xu Q, Chen J. 2012. Constitutive behavior of binary mixtures of kaolin and glass beads in direct shear. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 16, 7, 1152-1159.
- Li YR, Wen BP, Aydin A, Ju NP. 2013. Ring shear tests on slip zone soils of three giant landslides in the Three Gorges Project area. Engineering Geology, 154, 106–115.
- Li YR, Aydin A. 2013. Shear zone structures and stress fluctuations in large ring shear tests. Engineering Geology, 167, 6–13.
- Aydin A. 2014. Upgraded ISRM Suggested Method for Determining Sound Velocity by Ultrasonic Pulse Transmission Technique. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 47, 1, 255-259.
- Aydin A, Ozbek A, Acar A. 2014. Geomechanical characterization, 3-D optical monitoring and numerical modeling in Kirkgecit-1 tunnel, Turkey. Engineering Geology, 181, 38-47.
- Guo Z, Aydin A, Kuszmaul JS. 2014. Microtremor recordings in Northern Mississippi. Engineering Geology, 179, 146–157.
- Guo Z, Aydin A. 2015. Double-frequency microseisms in ambient noise recorded in Mississippi. Bulletin Seismological Society of America, 105, 3, 1-22.
- Pickering C, Aydin A. 2015. Modeling roughness of rock discontinuity surfaces. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 49, 7, 2959-2965.
- Guo Z, Aydin A. 2016. A modified HVSR method to evaluate site effect in Northern Mississippi considering ocean wave climate. Engineering Geology, 200, 104–113.
- Li YR, Xu Q, Aydin A. 2016. Uncertainties in estimating the roughness coefficient of rock fracture surfaces. Bull Eng Geol Environ. 1-13.